Friday, September 14, 2012

Food Writing and Photography


I chose this letter from the editor in Cooking Light as my example of good food writing because I liked the image it created in my mind of chefs and staff members sitting around a table critiquing recipes. I particularly like this sentence, "Opinions vary, and we talk and talk."— It seems to break the rules in a way Constance Hale would appreciate.

I selected these two photos as examples of beautiful food photography for completely different reasons. I love the geometry of the lattice work on the top of the pie and think it was really smart to center the dessert in on the page, in a rectangular dish. The only think disrupting the geometry of the composition is the portion missing. Even the spoon is positioned in a straight line.

The photo below is all organic shapes and asymmetry. The plates bleed of the edges of the page, the fork and knife are offset. Even the food is positioned on the plate at an angle.






No comments:

Post a Comment