Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The velvety-smooth bisque's unctuous mouthfeel is lobster-tastic with its toothsome tidbits. To. Die. For.

I came across this article while searching the web for some good examples of food writing: Stick a Fork in ‘Em: Which Food-Writing Clichés Should We Toss Out Forever?

I thought it was pretty amusing, so I've decided to open my blog with some helpful hints for our first writing assignment, courtesy of Alan Systma at Grub Street. Check it out! Personally, I was thrilled to see "epic" made the list.  I certainly hope I never encounter a meal as painful as reading The Odyssey in 7th grade.

In addition to the article, Grub Street hosted a little competition allowing followers to tweet the most obnoxious food writing sentence they could come up with. My favorite of the three winners is featured as the title of this post.

I'll close now with Dilbert. He shows us why we should avoid speaking in cliche food-terms.


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Libby. I love Dilbert! I have this calendar on my desk at work, and I remember this particular comic! Your blog title that made the list of obnoxious food writing is a great example of what our Sin and Syntax book is trying to teach us. On page 23, Hale sums up her lesson on pretense with a fitting directive: "Whenever you've got a choice, go with the plain talk, not the pomposity."

    While I did enjoy the Odyssey, I don't think I've enjoyed any epic meals so I too am glad to see that make the list. There is a recent trend of hyperbole--that was the best meal, ever!--I even bought a book about it a few years ago, but its location and title/author escape me. I wonder if Sin and Syntax will discuss hyperbole? I'm on the fence (this didn't make the list of cliches to avoid on p. 19, but it should and I'm ashamed at how naturally it was for me to write it), as I actually enjoy hyperbole's use for humor's sake.

    PS. I have a book of madlibs at my house and think it is a great exercise in remembering what a noun, adverb, adjective, etc. are. I think we should do one in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I just reached page 23 where Hale talks about Gobbledygook. She mentions the use of the word "directives" instead of order--I hang my head in shame at my use of it my the previous comment. Oddly enough, I never use that word but there is something about putting your words on the web that makes you second guess everything you write.

    ReplyDelete